DUI - Ignition Interlock Device - WA State

Puyallup, WA |

I know that in WA state, for a first DUI an Interlock Ignition device is required for 1 year--is that one year from the date of the incident/charge, the date of the conviction, or?

I was charged on 01/23/11, license was suspended 03/23/11 through 06/23/11. I was able (but have not done so) to get my driving privilege back as of 06/23/11 by filing SR-22 and paying the $150 fee as I do not go to court for a pre-trial hearing until September.

So more specifically, is the one year for the IID requirement
A) one year from 01/23/11 when I was charged with the DUI? OR
B) one year from the 06/23/11 date that I could have gotten my license back? OR
C) one year from whatever date that I actually get my license back? OR
D) one year from the date that the court convicts me of a DUI charge?

The an

The ignition interlock requirement comes into effect post-conviction and after you have served any suspension.
"The department shall require that, after any applicable period of suspension, revocation, or denial of driving privileges, a person may drive only a motor vehicle equipped with a functioning ignition interlock device if the person is convicted [of a DUI or Physical Control offense]."

Answers to questions are for general purposes only. They are not legal advice and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Washington state requires an ignition interlock on any vehicle you drive from the date you enter a guilty plea or are convicted of a DUI.

Washington state requires an ignition interlock on any vehicle you drive from the date you enter a guilty plea or are convicted of a DUI and once your license is reinstated.