Due to my neighbors negligence and our homes sharing a party wall, his pipes burst and flooded my basement. Who should I contact

My neighbor who is an investor purchased the home connected to mine. We have a mother/daughter brownstone which was built in 1909 by the same builder, so we share a party brick wall. The house has been vacant for over 6 months, 3 days ago we went through 3 days of below freezing temps. The investor did not turn his water off in the vacant home in turn his pipes froze and when the weather broke to warmer temps yesterday his pipes burst flooding his basement which in turn sent water through our party wall flooding my basement with at least 3ft of water. It took out my furnace and water heater. Insurance company sent over remediation to pump out water and dry out the basement. My concern is not about what I lost, but what is the saturated ground going to do to my foundation. What do I do?

Brooklyn, NY -

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

Hire an engineer - or see if the insurance carrier will hire an engineer - to see if the foundation is okay.

Sponsored Listing
Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Bellmore, NY

I agree with Mr. Rothstein. Hire an engineer to confirm that there is no damage. If there is damage, and your insurer will not cover it, then you can bring suit against the neighbor.