Dual Citizenship

Asked 9 months ago - Des Plaines, IL

I'm eligible for dual citizenship in the Republic of Ireland. Will my US Citizenship be affected by applying for dual citizenship when I'm a US person to begin with? It's not something that I need to do, but I have an appreciation for my heritage and would be interested (along with siblings) in pursuing this if it's not an issue.

1. Julia Sverdloff

6

Answered . Not an issue

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. Diana Marie Santos

6

Answered . Dual citizenship with Ireland is permitted. It would only impact you if you are looking for federal jobs - it poses a security clearance issue. Otherwise, go for it.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

5

Answered . No it will not be affected. You can be a dual citizen of Ireland and the United States.

4. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

5

Answered . Hi there. I am not an expert in Irish immigration law but I found a website for U.S. citizens interested in applying for Irish citizenship that you may find helpful: http://www.aohnewport.org/citizenship.htm. You could also contact the nearest Irish consulate (I'm guessing for you that would be in Chicago - a list of Irish consulates in the US is at the bottom of the link I provided), an Irish immigration attorney and/or a US immigration attorney with special knowledge of Irish immigration laws (via avvo or AILA search). Good luck!

5. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

3

Answered . No, the position of the U.S. Government is as follows: it does not encourage any U.S. Citizen to assume a citizenship of another country, yet, it DOES NOT PROHIBIT such USC from having a dual citizenship elsewhere. Proceed as planned.