Dual Citizenship

Des Plaines, IL |

I'm eligible for dual citizenship in the Republic of Ireland. Will my US Citizenship be affected by applying for dual citizenship when I'm a US person to begin with? It's not something that I need to do, but I have an appreciation for my heritage and would be interested (along with siblings) in pursuing this if it's not an issue.

No it will not be affected. You can be a dual citizen of Ireland and the United States.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Dual citizenship with Ireland is permitted. It would only impact you if you are looking for federal jobs - it poses a security clearance issue. Otherwise, go for it.

Not an issue

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.

Hi there. I am not an expert in Irish immigration law but I found a website for U.S. citizens interested in applying for Irish citizenship that you may find helpful: http://www.aohnewport.org/citizenship.htm. You could also contact the nearest Irish consulate (I'm guessing for you that would be in Chicago - a list of Irish consulates in the US is at the bottom of the link I provided), an Irish immigration attorney and/or a US immigration attorney with special knowledge of Irish immigration laws (via avvo or AILA search). Good luck!

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

No, the position of the U.S. Government is as follows: it does not encourage any U.S. Citizen to assume a citizenship of another country, yet, it DOES NOT PROHIBIT such USC from having a dual citizenship elsewhere. Proceed as planned.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois