Dual citizenship

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

hi...im just wondering about dual citizenship..i was born in philippines and my dad is a america citizen but before that he's a filipino and migrate in united states and apply for american citizenship...thats why he became american citizen...my question is since i born in philippines i carry my dad citizenship which is american,my mom was a filipino citizen...after my mom give birth my dad go thru U.S embassy and report it that i was born and they send a bith abroad certificate for me..am i require to get philippine/american citizenship..i dont want to lose my american citizen..is their any problem if i get dual?i got birth certificate in philippine which im holding on it..i was planning to go home and stay there for 2 year..pls give me some advice not to lose my US.C

i came here in US on september 11, 2007 and i was 19 year of age by that time,and im 25 years old on july..i was planning to get dual citizenship..since birth im american citizen because my dad hes american citizen..and my mom is filipino citizen..currently im hold US birth abroad,naturalization..and Birth certifate from philippines...

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

Answered . No problem. You are safe. You can have both.

2. Barbara A Marcouiller

Pro

Answered . There are a number of requirements we need to analyze including when/how you came to US. I'd be happy to go through it with you. Some of what we need to go through involves how old you were when certain events happened, how old you are now, if you ate in the US, and more.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . It is very hard to lose US citizenship. Acquiring a new citizenship is generally not enough.