Dual citizenship... how does it work?

Asked about 1 year ago - Arcadia, CA

Hi. Finally, I am getting my certificate of citizenship nextweek. After the ceremony, I'm planning to apply for a dual citizenship (I am a Filipino) 'coz I will be going back to the Phil. to study. But my mom told me something that if I apply for dual citizenship, it may affect my U.S citizenship and will cause me to lose my US citizenship. Thank you. God bless!

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

1

Answered . You are confused. There is no such thing as "applying" for dual citizenship. Dual citizenship is not something one applies for. You simply obtain it upon receiving an additional citizenship to the one you had at birth. That is exactly your situation. US law permits a naturalized citizen to retain the nationality he or she had at birth. I don't know about Philippine law in this regard, but that shouldn't really be your concern, for I am almost sore that for the Philippines you will always remain a native son and no one there will want to "strip" you of your Philippine nationality just because you were lucky neigh to acquire an additional nationality .. Quite the contrary, they will admire and envy you! Congratulations!!

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

Answered . Repeat question.

3. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

2

Answered . Duplicate question. See previous answer.