Dual citizenship... how does it work?

Arcadia, CA |

Hi. Finally, I am getting my certificate of citizenship nextweek. After the ceremony, I'm planning to apply for a dual citizenship (I am a Filipino) 'coz I will be going back to the Phil. to study. But my mom told me something that if I apply for dual citizenship, it may affect my U.S citizenship and will cause me to lose my US citizenship. Thank you. God bless!

1. You are confused. There is no such thing as "applying" for dual citizenship. Dual citizenship is not something one applies for. You simply obtain it upon receiving an additional citizenship to the one you had at birth. That is exactly your situation. US law permits a naturalized citizen to retain the nationality he or she had at birth. I don't know about Philippine law in this regard, but that shouldn't really be your concern, for I am almost sore that for the Philippines you will always remain a native son and no one there will want to "strip" you of your Philippine nationality just because you were lucky neigh to acquire an additional nationality .. Quite the contrary, they will admire and envy you! Congratulations!!

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Duplicate question. See previous answer.

Alexus P. Sham alexuspshamesq@gmail.com (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

3. Repeat question.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.