Skip to main content

Dual citizen (Philippines and US) Can I study in the Philippines and stay here as long as I want?

Arcadia, CA |

Good day! I am 19 years of age and I got my US citizenship through my dad before I turned 18. I am a naturally born Filipino and after I acquired my US citizenship, I applied for a dual citizenship. I am now here in the Philippines and will study and is currently living here. My question is, can I study here and stay here as long as I want without breaking any rules of the U.S. and Phils. regarding citizenship? Do I have to apply anything? Thank you to whoever will help me. God bless!

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    When you are in the Philippines as a citizen you are subject to its laws and regulations, just like anyone else and can also benefit from the free education system there. A US citizen has no limitations as to where he or she can live and no requirement to be in the US. You will always be welcomed back in the US upon your return, with no questions asked. You don't have to "apply" for anything in either country, unless it is for free education in Philippines or food stamps in the US. If and when employed in the Philippines (I don't see why though, since salaries there are much, much less than here) you will have to declare your earnings in Pesos there, but will receive tax credit for any local taxes paid there.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Yes. You can stay and study in the Philippines. If you are employed you may be required to file US income tax return reporting foreign earnings.Good Luck!!

  3. If you are a United States citizen, then generally it can only be revoked through fraud when obtaining it.

    Assuming just one of your parents was a U.S. Citizen, here is the general rule: The parents are married at the time of birth and the U.S. citizen parent had been physically present in the U.S. or its territories for a period of at least five years at some time in his or her life prior to the birth, of which at least two years were after his or her 14th birthday.

    If your father meets this test, then there should be no issue, and you do not have to work about your U.S. Citizen expiring. However, if you stay in the Philippines, you would have to meet the test for your kids to be citizens (but this is not the only way for your kids to get U.S. Citizenship).

  4. I agree with my colleagues. Would also point out to make sure you have proof of your citizenship status and that is all taken care of. Even if you are a dual citizen it is important to have proof and carry it with you at all times. Upon entering the U.S. the immigration authorities, Customs and Border Protection, could question you even if a citizen so make sure you have your US passport.

    No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication.

Tax law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics