Drug Possession , Criminal Defense

Shreveport, LA |

I have charges of an open container, possession, possession in a school zone, and possession in the presence of a minor. It was not found in my possession but since I was the driver and no one claimed it I was given the charges. I have no lawyer or money so I have a court appointed lawyer. I plead not guilty and is going to trial soon. Whats the best advice for me?

The best advice for you is to listen to your lawyer. People in control of a car are usually held responsible for what happens in the car because, as the driver, you had the power to tell them not to have an open container the cops could see. You may have to testify who was the person in possession. Are you prepared to rat them out? It is unlikely they will ever be charged. Think you can get them to come to court for you?

You have a lawyer. Listen to them.

Answers presented on this website are intended only for informational purposes and any use of the contained material is at the users own risk. Answers are intended exclusively as a public resource for general information, and this information is intended, but is not promised or guaranteed to be, correct, up-to-date, or complete. This material is not intended to constitute legal advice, as an agreement to create an attorney-client relationship with the law offices of Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC, or the provision of legal services, and receipt of this information does not constitute such an agreement. If legal or other specific expert advice is required, then the services of a competent professional should be sought.O