Drug Possession , Criminal Defense

Asked almost 3 years ago - Shreveport, LA

I have charges of an open container, possession, possession in a school zone, and possession in the presence of a minor. It was not found in my possession but since I was the driver and no one claimed it I was given the charges. I have no lawyer or money so I have a court appointed lawyer. I plead not guilty and is going to trial soon. Whats the best advice for me?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. John Wesley Hall Jr.

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . The best advice for you is to listen to your lawyer. People in control of a car are usually held responsible for what happens in the car because, as the driver, you had the power to tell them not to have an open container the cops could see. You may have to testify who was the person in possession. Are you prepared to rat them out? It is unlikely they will ever be charged. Think you can get them to come to court for you?

  2. Mitchell Scott Sexner


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . You have a lawyer. Listen to them.

    Answers presented on this website are intended only for informational purposes and any use of the contained... more

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Possession of a controlled substance

Possession of a controlled substance is a drug related crime. You can be charged for having drugs on your person or in your home, vehicle, or other property.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,471 answers this week

2,554 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,471 answers this week

2,554 attorneys answering