Drug offenses, waiver or pardon?

Asked about 1 year ago - Yonkers, NY

In 1987 my husband was arrested for sold a undercover police officer a controlled substance..He had half ounce of paraphernalia. He got ninety days on jail. He was deported. Can he ask for a pardon?...He got married and two children and they are a united state citizens ..How hard is to vacate a criminal case that happened in 1987? with the new immigration reform any possibility?

Additional information

Can hes get a felony record expunged?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. John M. Cromwell


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No. A pardon is not a realistic option. It is very hard to successfully vacate a criminal conviction. Depending on the facts, he may be able to file a motion to vacate his conviction on the grounds he was not advised of the immigration consequences of his guilty plea. You need to consult with both a criminal defense and an immigration attorney.

  2. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . He can't simply get his conviction vacated. He has to have legal grounds under CPL section 440.10. You can try the pardon route but that's a super long shot. Consult a criminal defense lawyer.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was... more
  3. Marco Caviglia


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Assuming this happened in NY, you cannot expunge. A pardon is an extraordinary event, and you don't state anything about your husband which would make him a candidate. Vacating the crimnal charge would mean restoring the charge and then having him acquitted at trial or trying for a disposition that would allow him to remain in the US (i.e. re-enter). If that is possible, you will have to consult an immigration attorney.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now