Driving without a license do i go to court or pay the ticket?

Asked over 1 year ago - Conroe, TX

on my way home from school i got into a car crash and got a driving without a license ticket. Should i pay the ticket or go to court?

1. Jerry Cole Brooks

3

Answered . You certainly should not just pay the ticket. Is the ticket for driving without a license or driving while license invalid/suspended. First of all, paying will result in a conviction for driving without a license on your record regardless of the charge. If you are eligible to obtain a driver's license, a conviction will result in fines, court costs and DPS is going to assess you 3 years of DPS surcharges. If you had a driver's license but it was invalid or suspended at the time, a conviction will result in fines, court costs, DPS surcharges, and an additional suspension period of your driver's license.

In addition to these criminal traffic convictions, you also must contend with civil aspect of this case since it involved an accident. Pleading guilty and paying the ticket will allow your conviction to be used against you as evidence in any civil suit for the accident.

You need to hire an experienced traffic ticket attorney in your area that will understand the issues in you case and how to defend you in this case. I have handled hundreds of these types of cases in my practice.

2. Zev Goldstein

Pro

3

Answered . Pleading guilty to infraction related to a car accident could be considered as proof of fault on your part for the accident.
    I would contact a local attorney to find out what liabilities you may be facing.

BTW did you have insurance, and was it a suspended license or just not license?