Skip to main content

Driving on suspended license for DUI and got hit , and other driver was at fault . will this effect settlement

Sacramento, CA |

mi hurt and cars totaled

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


The other driver was still at fault and so long as your driving wasn't a contributing factor it shouldn't come in. They will make the argument that you shouldn't of been on the road and I've dealt with this before and it fails. Your being on the road didn't cause the accident their insured's negligence did. You may face other issues but not liability ones.

Hie an injury attorney ASAP to protect your rights and seek medical attention ASAP.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


If you are not listed as being at fault for the accident then the other party's insurance should cover your damages. I would see a consult with a local personal injury attorney. Good luck.

Randy Sevenish is licensed to practice law in the State of Indiana. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship. Please speak with a local attorney to discuss your potential legal issue.


The fact that you were uninsured at the time of the accident does not bar you from making a claim against the other persons insurance company. Call a personal injury lawyer in your area and have a free consultation. do not peak to the other insurance company until you do. Good Luck!


You can still retain a personal injury lawyer to represent you if you were injured.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Whether or not your lack of licensure will affect settlement is debatable. If you are unrepresented, chances are the adjuster for the adverse insurance carrier will attempt to use this information against you. However, an attorney will tell you that your lack of licensure is irrelevant to issues of negligence and causation.

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You should not, unless you were somehow at fault. Contact and consult with a personal injury attorney.


Your lack of an active license may not preclude you from bringing an action for personal injury. However, if the car you were driving lacked car insurance coverage (which may be the case here), you may be precluded from recovering certain types of damages. California Prop 213 precludes people from recovering "non-economic" damages (pain and suffering) when they do not have car insurance. Thus, I would strongly recommend you contact an attorney without delay. An injury attorney licensed to practice in California should be able to discuss how Prop 213 and other California laws effect your ability to recover.

I wish you luck with your claim and most importantly, your recovery.

Josh Edlow

James P Brady

James P Brady


I was hoping someone from California would enlighten us.


Assuming you have liability (fault) nailed down for the accident, the suspended license issue can be kept out by filing what is called a motion in limine at the beginning of trial. Essentially, these are utilized to keep evidence that is more prejudicial than it is probative or relevant from being heard by your jury. Early on in the claims process, the claims adjuster for the other insurance company may try and use the suspended license issue as a talking point to knock down the value and scare you into taking less money but stick to your guns. If the license issue has nothing to do with the cause of the accident, then you shouldn't pay it too much mind. The best thing for your to do at this point is do your research and hire an attorney that others recommend and that you trust.


It depends on the laws of your State. See an attorney.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer