Driving on suspended license

Asked over 1 year ago - Tampa, FL

i got pulled over and found out then that my license had been suspended because my insurance has lapsed i got a ticket to make a court date while looking at details online with the clerk of court i noticed this is a criminal charge i have never been in front of a judge for this reason or any other whats the best plea to enter at arraignment andwhat kind of penalty am i looking at i cant go to jail i am a stay at home dad with 4 kids and no other child care alternatives

1. Amanda Powers Sellers

4

Answered . Enter a plea of not guilty and hire an attorney. You have several options available to you and an attorney can properly advise you what those are. Most attorneys, including myself, offer a free consultation. We can pull your driving history and the current charge(s) prior to advising you how to proceed.

2. Jonathan Hackworth

Pro

3

Answered . I would advise you to immediately retain a criminal defense attorney to assist you. We would work to get you the best deal possible including trying to ensure no jail was involved. My firm offers free case consultations and is located in Tampa. Our office number is 813 830 2261.

3. John Patrick Guidry II

Pro

3

Answered . Driving While License Suspended (DWLS) is a tricky subject. Sounds like you are not guilty of the "criminal" offense, because for DWLS to be a crime, it must be that you knew your license was suspended. You had no idea your license was suspended, yet the cop charged you with the crime anyway.

You have lots of options for resolving this case, and you're not going to jail. But, you should contact a local criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. Also, it wouldn't hurt to get your DL reinstated as well (you may then get to exercise a "Clerk's Option"). Talk to an attorney asap, before taking any action on this. Good Luck!

4. David P. Gilbert

Pro

3

Answered . This offense carries a maximum penalty of 60 days in jail and a $500 fine. The majority of the stress and uncertainty that you are currently experiencing can be eliminated by hiring a local traffic ticket attorney.

5. Michael Charles McGinn

Pro

3

Answered . It is very important that you consult with and retain an experienced criminal defense attorney. Driving while your license was suspended can become a serious issue if not handled properly. If you obtain 3 within a 5 year period you can be classified as a Habitual Traffic Offender and charged with a felony. It is best that you take of this now so this does not happen in the future. I offer free intial consultations in Tampa by calling 813-374-0353 to schedule an appointment.

6. Stanley Eugene Peacock

1

Answered . You need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney with knowledge and experience in misdemeanor and felony proceedings. You need to get your insurance reinstated and take proof of it to your attorney. Your attorney may be able to show this to the prosecutor and explain how the suspension occurred. If you have changed your address recently, you also need to go to DMV and get your current address on your drivers license. Be sure to inform your insurance company of the address changes so you will get the insurance renewal notice in a timely manner in the future.