Driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle

Asked over 5 years ago - Fitchburg, MA

I was recently in an auto accident, and I had borrowed my friends car to go to an appointment that I had and on the way I got rearended and later found out that the car I was driving was unregistered and uninsured and now I have to go to court. Should I bring anything with me or is there anything that I could do? I live in Fitchburg, Massachusetts.

1. James D. Corbo

2

Answered . Is the court matter you will be attending civil or criminal? If you are being criminally charged with operating an unisured and unregistered motor vehicle, you have a good defense because you are not the owner of the car. You need to hire an attorney, especially hwere you have civil exposure because the car was not insured.

2. Jessica Ann Foley

2

Answered . You are probably being charged criminally. I would bring any paperwork you have regarding the ownership of the vehicle. Technically it is on you to know that a vehicle is uninsured and unregistered, however, if you have no record or no history of this type of crime, often the clerk will not issue the complaint, or sometimes dismiss it. I would suggest that you hire a criminal defense attorney to assist you that is familiar with the court in which you are summonsed.

3. Gregory Casale

2

Answered . It sounds like you are being charged in criminal court (you do not get charged in civil court) and being charged with Operating an Unregistered & Uninsured MV. I beleive that one of these two carries a $625.00 fine. The other two answers are correct in advising you to hire a criminal defense attorney. You can probably get the chages dismissed with the proper representation (the right lawyer) and proof that you are not the owner. If the car is now registered and insured, I would have you bring proof of that if I were representing you. I would try to get the case dismissed with the payment of some court cost. If you would like anything more specific do not hesitate to call us. We specialize in Criminal Defense and you really don't want this on your record. Often times Assistant District Attorneys will offer what sounds like a good deal and it may be, but if it happens again somewhere down the road, second offenses usually are a big deal. Address this charge. Don't be lulled into thinking its no big deal