Driver suing me in small claims court regardless the fact I had an insurance when accident has happened.

Asked about 1 year ago - Van Nuys, CA

The accident has happened about 8 months ago, I was changing the lane when taxi behind me has accelerated and hit me. My insurance considered the case as my fault. We exchanged an insurance info with driver, nobody was injured, there were no passengers in taxi. Couple months later I got call from auto insurance, they think driver had filed fraud claims, their agent met me and I provided very detailed description about what has happened. Also they told that driver claiming body injuries and saying he had passengers in taxi. Recently I got a notice to show up in Small Claims Court from taxi driver, he is suing me for $7,5K. Is not it car insurance responsibility to deal with all such claims? If my insurance decided not to pay him, because he is making false claims, why should I?

1. Michael R Crosner

13

1

Best Answer

Answered . You insurance carrier will assist you - many send a representative to assist you in small claims court. If any judgement against you then your insurance company will have to pay. BE SURE to notify them immediately of the small claims notice you received. Goo Luck

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

15

1

Answered . You should tender the defense to your insurance carrier by providing a copy of the Plaintiff's Claim to your insurance carrier. If there is coverage, the insurance company will send a claims representative to accompany you at the small claims court trial.

3. Adam Jay Jaffe

Pro

9

1

Answered . As there are no witnesses, he will be a he said-she said. A common occurrence in Small Claims. your best bet, as my colleagues had suggested, is to notify the insurance company. They have an obligation to pay if you are found at fault.

They MAY accompany you to the trial. They can even appeal and/or hire a lawyer for you for that appeal.

The fact that you are being sied for $7500 makes me think that the driver has been to Small Claims before as this used to be the maximum that you could sue for (and many still believes is). However, depending on who the PROPER plaintiff is, it could be only $5000. The law was ALSO changed to limit Small Claims to $7500 if an auto accident with injuries.

As there is no way to get his evidence before trial, see if your insurance company can do it for you. He will need to prove his medical injuries. So your insurance company can try to get receipts, etc. before hand.

If you need to, get a continuance to give you more time to get your insurance company involved!!!

If you have further questions, contact a lawyer that knows about Small Claims. Try: www.smallclaimsappeals.com

4. Richard Andrew Harting

Pro

8

1

Answered . Your insurance and the other driver could not reach a resolution so the other driver had no choice but to file suit against you. Advise your insurance adjuster and they should help you prepare for the hearing which you must attend. any award against you will be handled by your insurance.

5. David J. McCormick

9

1

Answered . You need to turn this over to your auto insurance company ASAP, they will represent you.

6. Merry Melinda Fountain

Pro

9

1

Answered . Yes, it is your insurance company's responsibility to defend you in Small Claims Court. Contact them immediately so that they can obtain a defense attorney to represent you.

7. Adam Hayes Lewis

Pro

7

Answered . Your insurance carrier will investigate and evaluate the claim. If the other driver is not happy with the amount offered then he has a right to file suit against you. In small claims lawyers are not prohibited unless there is an appeal. You should send your insurance carrier a copy of the summons and complaint and then they may send a representative with you to court. If the judge finds for the other driver then barring any issue with your policy your carrier should pay the award.

Pro

6

Answered . Turn it over to your insurance carrier to resolve.