Driver's License is expired for the past 3 years, unable to renew because of undefined Immigration status

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

I live in Miami, FL my Driver's License is expired for the past 3 years, but USCIS has not advanced on my case in terms of whether I'm allowed to stay or if I have to leave the country. I had renewed my work visa twice and my lawyer because he was hopeful in my ex-husband being granted his residency didn't put in my papers for residency application. My ex-husband's application was denied and now I'm left in limbo while USCIS decides my case. I need to drive to work and I keep getting pulled over because cops run the license plate and see my DL is expired, is there anything I can do in terms of renewing my DL or what process can I do.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Capriotti. Your expectations of this forum are unreasonable.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Jose Antonio Moreno

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . We aren't sure what you are eligible for or what you have applied for. Your lawyer should explain what your options are--if you aren't happy with his representation, you can always seek new counsel.

  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . How do you hope we can help?

    Talk to your lawyer ... only he/she knows the whole story.

    I can tell you that many of my clients get a bus pass, or take taxis to work in similar situations.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  4. Ivan A Guerrero

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . In order to give you an answer we will need to know what is your status. An what documents you have.

    Ivan Guerrero, Esq.
    Immigration Attorney
    44 W. Flagler St. Ste 1445
    Miami, FL 33130
    P. 786-536-9088
    F. 786-558-9468

    "This answer should not be considered legal advice. Each case is different. An a formal consultation would be need... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Immigrant IDs and driver's licenses

To get a job in the US and be eligible for the benefits of citizenship, immigrants must get a Social Security card and other forms of ID.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,552 answers this week

2,257 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,552 answers this week

2,257 attorneys answering