Skip to main content

Driver License reinstatement fee question. Installment plan?

Southfield, MI |

Suppose I get the green light and get my driving privileges restored. I owe about $4500 to state of Michigan in reinstatement fees, can I get the actual DL and pay them on a monthly basis?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Start by reviewing this link from eth Michigan SOS - It may prove helpful:,1607,7-127-1627---,00.html

  2. The state will arrange payment plan options with you but you won't be able to get your license until all reinstatement fees are paid-off.

  3. You should be able to set-up a payment plan with the Secretary of State for your reinstatement fees, which has been mentioned. However, as also noted, you will not be able to obtain your license until you set-up a payment plan with the SOS. That is a condition. Moreover, you may still be under a suspension, which means you will not be able to obtain a license until your suspension period is finished. The best thing to do is obtain an attorney and determine what exactly it is that you need to do in order to obtain your license. These things can be tricky and it is never advised to do such a thing on your own. Best of luck to you.

    Josh Jones
    Criminal Defense Attorney

  4. More information is needed to completely answer this question. I doubt that you owe that much in reinstatement fees. The reinstatement fee is $125.00, and you pay it once, when you get back a full driver's license. I am guessing that what you owe are Driver Responsibility Fees, which can add up to thousands of dollars. Those are collected by the Michigan Department of Treasury, and so long as you have not had a previous payment plan which you did not comply with, they will agree to a payment arrangement with you. Once you have that payment arrangement set up, you can get your license back if all the other reasons you don't have a license are also cleared up. You don't mention what other license issues you have. Getting an attorney to at least look at your driving record is a very good idea. I, as I believe many attorneys will do, will review a driving record that is faxed to me at no charge. Sincerely, Frank B. Ford 313-565-9289 or 313-486-9272

    The information contained in this answer is intended to convey general information. Nothing contained in this answer is intended as specific legal advice. Although the content is believed to be accurate as to Michigan law, no guarantee is made that it is accurate and up-to-date. This is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

  5. They will set up a payment plan.

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics