Drinking alcohol while out on bond....

Asked about 4 years ago - Milwaukee, WI

i'm out on bond for disorderly conduct. The judge said I am not to consume alcohol, however my bond papers do not. Am I allowed to consume alcohol without fear of being arrested or no?

1. Michael Daniel Zell

Answered . It sounds like there was a clerical error. You were ordered not to consume bond, and the clerk preparing the papers failed to include this restriction. The penalty for failing to follow a condition of bond is possible changes to the bond amount or restrictions, or criminal prosecution for bail jumping. If there is a criminal prosecution you may have a defense to the charges based on the written bond order. But the transcript will clearly show that you were informed not to consume alcohol. The only safe course of action is to not consume alcohol.

2. Karyn T. Missimer

Answered . I agree with the first answer.

I would add bail jumping is a class A misdemeanor punishable by up to 9 months jail and/or a $10K fine.

And, if the prosecutor discovers you were drinking while out on bond, your chances of getting the charge reduced to a non-criminal ordinance violation or obtaining a deferred prosection agreement will be greatly diminished if not gone.

It is just not worth it.

Good luck!