Skip to main content

Dream Act benefits received successfully, now wants to apply for a green card, but she came through Mexico. Possible?

Houston, TX |

The first time she arrived by plane. The second time, she crossed the Mexican border (gave her finger prints at the border). She received immigration benefits from the Dream Act law. Is she eligible to apply for a green card based on her marriage to a U.S. citizen? Thanks.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. There is no Dream Act. Assuming she received Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, the marriage to a citizen is a different matter altogether. Generally, people married to U.S. citizens can apply for green cards. She and her husband should meet with an immigration attorney in her area to discuss eligibility and procedures. Good luck.

  2. Possibly, not enough information to give a definitive answer. Were both entries legal?

    The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by the attorney, nor does the answering of this question create an attorney client relationship.

  3. Whether she can apply for a green card depends on if she entered the US legally. It would be best to bring all paperwork to an immigration attorney.

    Alexus P. Sham-The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. I agree with my colleagues. If she entered the U.S. legally, then it is possible that she is eligible for adjusting her status. We need more information.

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics