Dozed off while driving and woke up just before my car hit the dividers. But car was totaled. No loss of life. Implications?

Fairfax, VA |

I have never got a ticket or been involved in an accident before. However, recently while driving late night, I dozed off while driving and unfortunately, my car hit the concrete dividers and got totaled. Thankfully, nothing happened to me. No other cars were involved. I got a ticket for reckless driving. I want to know how to defend my case.
Please help.

If you have a perfect driving record, you may have a shot at driving school. Talk to a traffic attorney in Fairfax.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

I strongly advise you to get counsel. Reckless driving is a criminal offense in Virginia.

[This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

Reckless Driving is a Class 1 misdemeanor crime in Virginia and you can be charged with this offense based on excessive speed, causing an accident, driving aggressively, or for several other reasons.
People charged with this crime face the following penalties:
-Up to one (1) year in jail,
-Up to $2,500 in fines plus Court costs, and
-Up to a Six (6) month driver’s license suspension.
If you are convicted of Reckless Driving you will have a permanent criminal record, which could affect your ability to obtain a security clearance or be hired for certain jobs.
Also, your insurance rates are likely to rise dramatically.
Local prosecutors treat this crime very seriously and Judges regularly sentence people convicted of Reckless Driving to serve jail time, as well as impose license suspensions.
If you have been charged with Reckless Driving, then contact an experienced attorney to help protect your interests.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

James R. Parrish, Esquire
Parrish Law Firm, PLLC
10620-C Crestwood Drive
Manassas, Virginia 20109
(571) 229-1800 x203 Office
(703) 906-4229 Cell
(571) 229-1818 Fax
(703) 991-7096 eFax

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets