Don't understand a question on form I-134

Denver, CO |

A US citizen is applying for K - 1 visa for fiancée to enter US to get married . When filling out form I - 134 , question 11 asks if citizen intends to make specific contributions to support of the fiancée . Why Is this question even on the form ? Isn't the purpose of the form itself to show that the citizen will support the fiancée ? Why or how could anyone ever answer " no " and yet still have the form be accepted ?

You are asking rhetorical questions. If you are not doing a desertion on the immigration policies, just answer the question and move on. The purpose of the form is to make sure that the fiance is responsible financially for bringing his fiancee to this country, not the taxpayers. The question is simply one of many to collect information to assist the government in making a determination whether he is likely to do that. USCIS does not have to accept the form or make a conclusion that he, the fiance, qualifies to be a sponsor. Remember this, as USC you have a qualified right for immigration of some loved ones, This right is qualified among other things by the taxpayers acquiescence in the mater. USCIS in a sense represents the taxpayers and wants to make sure that you qualify. You are in essence the petitioner we, the taxpayers through USCIS are the grantors. .

I agree with my colleague.

I agree with my two colleagues. Good luck to you.
Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

Recommended articles about Immigration