Don't understand a question on form I-134

Asked almost 2 years ago - Denver, CO

A US citizen is applying for K - 1 visa for fiancée to enter US to get married . When filling out form I - 134 , question 11 asks if citizen intends to make specific contributions to support of the fiancée . Why Is this question even on the form ? Isn't the purpose of the form itself to show that the citizen will support the fiancée ? Why or how could anyone ever answer " no " and yet still have the form be accepted ?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

1

Answered . You are asking rhetorical questions. If you are not doing a desertion on the immigration policies, just answer the question and move on. The purpose of the form is to make sure that the fiance is responsible financially for bringing his fiancee to this country, not the taxpayers. The question is simply one of many to collect information to assist the government in making a determination whether he is likely to do that. USCIS does not have to accept the form or make a conclusion that he, the fiance, qualifies to be a sponsor. Remember this, as USC you have a qualified right for immigration of some loved ones, This right is qualified among other things by the taxpayers acquiescence in the mater. USCIS in a sense represents the taxpayers and wants to make sure that you qualify. You are in essence the petitioner we, the taxpayers through USCIS are the grantors. .

2. Matthew L. Kolken

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

3. Dean P Murray

Answered . I agree with my two colleagues. Good luck to you.
    ---------------------------
    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700