Domestic violence restraining order and children.

Kent, WA |

I read online that if you have a domestic violence order if you go to remove the order due to wanting to return and have children CPS can get involved for :failure to protect" and take your children is this true? I was considering taking my ex back and dropping my order but i dont want to risk taking my kids away from me, they need there dad also. CPS hasent been involved so far. I was pregnant with my second when the DV order was put in place and once i had my child i placed her on the order after a violation of the order which was recommended by the police. What would happen if i dropped my order and decided to live with my ex and continue as a family? What are my the pros and cons to this idea?

How would CPS find out if you decided to drop it? I assume it's only for a year anyway? When does it expire naturally? What acts did your ex commit that warranted a protection order? Did they involve the children? If so, how?

Jack Berner,
BERNER LAW GROUP, PLLC

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

The original order is exhausted in September 2011. He violated this order in January 2011 and the judge put a order on him in part of his probation for 2 addtional years. CPS was never involved. His acts he commited that caused the first one was threats,shoved me while pregnant,thru a cell phone at head(but missed),My son wasnt home when he displayed his domestic violence and i was pregnant at the time so our now daughter was not around during the time.I was told if i drop a order to resume a family or relationship with a person of Domestic violence that you placed a order on the court automatically referrs your case to CPS as a "failure to protect" and since its a law they can remove children. This is my concern....