Skip to main content

Domestic Violence

Eatontown, NJ |

My girlfriend broke my ipad into pieces and slapped me in the face and I also retaliated. She called the cops on me but I was gone before they came. I called her but the cops answered the phone and asked me few questions. The cops told me they will get back to me but its been two hours now. What is my chances of been thrown into jail? I'm worried I might lose my job if I'm arrested because of this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


In the event you are arrested over this matter you should file a cross complaint against your girlfriend based on the facts you described in your question. If charges are pressed and you decide to press charges, you will likely both be required to appear in Municipal Court. You should also speak to an attorney about this situation. Domestic Violence cases are not taken lightly. The charge(s) you could be facing range from either harassment, a low grade misdemeanor/DP offense up to terroristic threats/felony charge based on the particulars of the case in question. In the meantime, don't talk about your case further until speaking to an attorney in person about this first.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.


Call a criminal defense attorney right now for advice.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


I don't know what you told the police officer. However, you would probably not be arrested. Instead you would be served with a temporary restraining order. If so, I agree you should file a cross complaint based on your facts.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


You likely will be served with a TRO if your gf wants to file. You may be charged with simple assault even if she does not want to file if the cops saw signs of violence. You will likely be booked and released if that happens. Call one of us if it does.



Just as you said, I was arrest and released with $150 bond. My charge was simple assault? What should I expect on my court day?

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser


If you did not get a TRO your gf likely did not want to charge you at all. State law requires a charge if signs of violence are seen. If that is so, and if there is no TRO, you can ask her unless the Judge made no contact a condition of bail. If she does not want to testify they can prove very little. If she is willing to say this to the prosecutor and Judge there is a way to get out of this without a conviction, There is an arrest on your record now so this approach will also allow for an expungement petition to get rid of those entries so they do not normally appear on background check. An attorney is much more likely to pull this off. More information is needed. Call with this information over the weekend. My cell number call be obtained on my office voice mail.


Whoever tells their version to the police first in a fight is the one who doesn't get charged. You lost the race. Now no matter what you say, you will be charged. They are probably on their way to your address to at least serve you with a temporary restraining order. If you get one of those DO NOT call her or contact her in any way. Speak to a lawyer and/or a bail bondsman.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer