Skip to main content

Domestic violence

Libertyville, IL |

How to find out whether state is pressing charges on a domestic violence case or not? Released after a day in prison.

What is a 12CM number? example please. I've a notice to appear in court to answer domestic violence.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If the state wants to prosecute, you will be given a hearing date to appear before a judge.


An Order of Protection can be either civil or criminal Paperwork should have eben given to the respondent. Look to see if there is a 12OP or 12CM case number. If there is a CM docket number, the respondent has also been charged criminally. You can also call the clerk of the circuit court. They can look up cases by name.


Is there any domestic relations civil litigation between you and the accused? A 12-CM- number is a criminal misdemeanor case number from the Clerk of the Court. Try calling the State's Attorney's Office who would be prosecuting the case. Another option is to check the Clerk of the Court's website for specific information as to Court dates, times and locations of the case. Did you get a business card from the investigating officer? He or she may return your call the fastest if no one calls back from the State's Attorney's Office. These details should not be broadcast over the Internet.

This is a general answer and does not address the specifics of your individual case. To give the specific answer you need our firm needs you to come in for a consultation.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer