Domestic abuse criminal charge harassment

Asked about 2 years ago - Jackson Heights, NY

my wife harasses me a lot(got proof) and I would like to file criminal harassment charges against her and obtain a restraining order. how do i go about doing it. can i go to criminal court and file for same or do I need to go to DA office?

1. Scott Evan Gross

Pro

5

Answered . You should consider going to family court. Call an attorney ASAP

Scott Gross
    Scottgrosslaw.com
    631-456-2326

2. Benjamin J Lieberman

4

Answered . The DA would be the one to file criminal charges in court. You are free, however, to file a petition in the Family Court. That too can get you an order of protection.
    ---------------------------------------- This email was sent by: Avvo, Inc. 1501 4th AveSuite 1900 Seattle, WA, 98101-1588, USA We respect your right to privacy - visit the following URL to view our policy. ( http://click.mail5.avvo.com/?qs=5fa3941315bda1d... ) ----------------------------------------

3. Yefim Rubinov

4

Answered . You should def. try Family Court as well. The burden of proof is less in Family Court than in Criminal Court. I suggest you consult an attorney.

4. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

3

Answered . You can go to the police or the DA or family court.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

5. Richard C. Southard

3

Answered . If you want to file criminal charges, you need to go to the police. If an arrest is made, a judge will issue an order of protection at the time of her arraignment. If you just want an order of protection, you can go to family court.