DOI: 2/4/11. Still not MMI/P&S. More treatment coming up. TTD benefits run out 04/2014 (all 104 weeks). What are my options?

Northridge, CA |

I was injured on 02/04/2011 and was placed on temporary disability on 03/28/2012. Since then, I've continuously received TTD benefits and will run out by the end of march 2014 (in 3 months). I'm completely disabled and unable to do any work. I've just received approval to meet with a spine surgeon following a lengthy AME battle and will be having a fusion surgery very soon (so there's no way i'll be able to work when my TTD benefits run out in a few months.) My attorney tells me that there are absolutely no extensions on TTD and that WC doesnt have to advance me PD benefits, so I may not receive any $ from WC after March. What should I do/what r my options? State disability? Unemployment Insurance? Federal disability/ SSI? I'm 24 y/o, so no Social Security yet.
Thanks for the help.

1. You should discuss those options with your attorney. State disability and SSI may be viable options.

2. You should be discussing this with your attorney. He knows you and your situation better than any of us here at avvo.

You should be applying for State Disability. While you may not have enough quarters for Social Security Disability, you may qualify for Social Security Supplemental Income depending on your situation.

Please be sure to vote for "Best Answer."

3. Talk with your attorney, but it sounds like you should apply for State Disability benefits from EDD.

4. Best to schedule a sit-down with your lawyer to discuss in full

5. I agree with my colleagues, if you have a treating physician to certify that you are eligible, you should apply for EDD, that's what it for. Your treating doctor will be able to help you with the forms, good luck!

Karen Steinitz

Social security topics