Dog Parks- What rights do dog owners have if a dog bites a child who technically is not supposed to inside?

Hello, Question regarding off lease gated dog parks. Most dog parks have signs with specific rules i.e. no food, no one under 16 yrs, dogs must be spayed or neutered, must have license, etc. My question is if a dog inside a dog park whose minding his/her own business but a little child comes into the dog section park what rights to dog owners have say if a dog bites this child? I'm only asking because I've seen stupid parents let their child/children inside the dog section of the park to play with dogs and some of these parents do not even have dog themselves, they think it's a playground for kids to pet these dogs. I mean they aren't supposed to be there in the first place because a kid might run or scare the dog etc. At times I do tell these parents to please hold the child or leave

Covina, CA -

Michael Shemtoub

Michael Shemtoub

Personal Injury Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

First, my sincere regret that you encountered this unfortunate situation. An attorney would need to see what the contract for usage of the park by underage persons says. My suggestion is that you contact an attorney and take your documentation with you.. I have personally dealt with other California claims such as this one. Having proper representation can protect your cause of action. Best of luck to you.

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Personal Injury Lawyer - San Jose, CA

Id be very careful taking a case like that in general. there would be a strong argument for fault on the part of the parent. The leash law would not apply.

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Personal Injury Lawyer - Centennial, CO

When kids are bit by dogs, claims are made. Period. While there may be a defense, good plaintiff's attorneys know that such claims are viable. Why are children not to be in the dog park area?

The signage is interesting. It protects the government from claims -- not dog owners.

I will be interested in seeing if I have colleagues with differing views on this. I am not licensed in California, but instead in Colorado.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Bottom line is when a child is bitten, the parents will typically seek compensation. Simply report it to your insurance company to resolve.

Matthew C Simon

Matthew C Simon

Personal Injury Lawyer - Parsippany, NJ

Be safe and report this to your homeowners insurance to protect yourself against a potential future claim. With that being said, it sounds like the parents would be comparatively negligent for failing to supervise their child. Good luck.