Doesn't power of attorney cover cremation?

Oxford, MA |

my father just passed and wished to be cremated. eldest child had PoA and signed everything from banking to estate planning to the "do not resuscitate" decision. however, after commiting to a specific funeral home, he was informed that this did not cover cremation itself, and that in MA the lesser offspirng must also sign some release. one refuses to steadfastly.

father planned everything well but for no written mention of cremation wishes. we all assumed PoA covered that.

there is NO chance the one refusing to sign will contest anything, ever. she will, however, fight vigorously to be "left out" of proceedings. in fact, she was the one who initially pushed our father to set up PoA, for the sole purpose of avoiding this situation.

what is to be done here?

thank you!

1. A power of attorney grants the person named powers mirroring those of the person executing the document, and for that reason it ceases to be effective on the issuer's death. A statement of burial wishes can either be contained in a will, or in a separate document designating a custodian for the body.

Massachusetts substantially rewrote it's probate law after the last time I practiced there, so I could be wrong, but I don't believe state law requires all siblings to agree in writing on burial decisions; but it's not an uncommon policy of funeral homes worried that disagreeing family members will sue them. You should talk to a local estates and probate attorney to confirm your options, but your best bet is to find a different place that doesn't require the waiver, or which just isn't aware of the abstaining sibling.

All online content provided by Attorney Rosenberg, including all postings to Avvo.com, is provided for general informational purposes only, and does not constitute legal advice. All content is general in nature. Attorneys are unable to ask the questions necessary to fully understand the legal issues faced by any particular poster. Postings and responses to questions only provide general insights on the topic discussed. They are not tailored to any reader’s specific situation, will not be accurate in all states, and are never updated or maintained to reflect changes in the law. No person should take action based on the information provided on Avvo.com or any other law-themed website without first consulting a local attorney with significant experience in your area of concern. Persuant to Circular 230, no online content may be used by any person to avoid taxes or penalties under the Internal Revenue Code. ************* No information presented by anyone online is confidential in nature, and no online reading or writing will create an attorney-client relationship between you and Atty. Rosenberg. Atty. Rosenberg is admitted to practice in Connecticut and Massachusetts, but concentrates on on estate planning, elder law, and personal tax matters in south-central CT only. He may be contacted on these matters in CT at (203) 871-3830 or Scott@ScottRosenbergLaw.com. Some online content constitutes attorney advertising.

2. A power of attorney is valid during the Principal's life and on his last breath also expires. There is an exception, in California at least, for an Advance Directive which has a section allowing the ONE post-death authority of making burial or cremation arrangements. I don't practice in your state to know without research, whether this is also the case in your state or even if you have an advance directive because you don't mention it.

What does the one steadfastly refusing want? Burial over cremation? Or just to fight? If she wants to be left out of it, signing this makes it go away in that you are all in agreement and the cremation can happen. If MA requires all siblings to sign an agreement, you may never agree.

Contact your local bar association for referral to an attorney who specializes in this. Often, but not always, the attorney will do an initial consultation free of charge. You will then be in a better position to determine what to do next. Best of luck to you!

If you liked this answer, click on the thumbs up! Thanks. Eliz. C. A. Johnson Post Office Box 8 Danville, California 94526-0008 Legal disclaimer: I do not practice law in any state but California. As such, any responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are limited to a general understanding of law in California and not to any other jurisdiction. In addition, no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to constitute legal advice, nor to constitute the existence of an attorney/client or other contractual or fiduciary relationship, inasmuch as legal advice can only be provided in circumstances in which the attorney is able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather appropriate information.

3. Sigh..... this is the sort of thing which leads to hearings at the Probate Court while the body lies in the morgue. A power of attorney has nothing to do with it.

A quick bit of research shows that there is nothing which explicitly states that there must be universal family agreement concerning cremation. However, there have been successful lawsuits where autopsies were conducted without the consent of the family, leading to the hospital being held liable for emotional distress. My sense is that by refusing to go forward, the funeral home is trying to avoid being sued by someone who doesn't want the cremation in the absence of a clear instruction from the deceased or a court order.

However, it would have made it a LOT simpler if your father had signed a statement declaring his intent to be cremated -- either by taking care of his own funeral planning while he was alive, in his will or in a separate notarized document.

E. Alexandra "Sasha" Golden is a Massachusetts lawyer. All answers are based on Massachusetts law. All answers are for educational purposes and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question.

4. A person's power of attorney terminates upon his or her death, as does his health care power of attorney. You will have to work outside the framework of a power of attorney and health care proxy.

Your father's attorney should have included his wishes for burial or cremation and properly advised you. My advice now would be to retain an attorney to make sure that the estate is probated correctly.

5. Hello,
    I am agreement with Alexandra Golden's big sigh. I would attempt to have a family meeting in this matter and see if it can be resolved amicably. Does anyone else in the family know that Dad wanted to be cremated? And if so, perhaps they can persuade the power of attorney who now has no authority to go along for peace in the family.
    -Susana Lannik

Please note that this analysis is general in nature and is for Massachusetts only. By giving it attorney Lannik or Lannik Law, LLC does not create an attorney-client relationship unless and until contracted for by her office. IRS Circular 230 Notice: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments or enclosures) is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.