Doesn't a "No Parking" sign need to be posted on the street that no parking is prohibited???

City Of Industry, CA |
Filed under: Parking tickets

While visiting a friend in La Habra, CA I recd a parking ticket for parking during street sweep hours. I wrote asking the ticket to be dismissed as there were no signs posted. I recd a reply stating signs are posted at the entrance to the neighborhood. REALLY??? Can they issue a ticket when the sign is 4 blocks away? If so, this is a pretty sleazy way for a city to increase revenue.

I think your question really comes down to whether there is a statewide statute that regulates proper notice for no parking and there is nothing. Notice simply must be reasonably calculated to give one warning. The City of La Habra believes such a sign is adequate.

In other words, they can issue such a ticket. It certainly does seem like inadequate notice. The city probably receives great revenue from this practice.

Unfortunately yes! That is La Habra!

Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777

In San Francisco, we have something informally known as the "100 foot rule," which means that a no parking sign must be within 100 feet of the space in which you receive a ticket, otherwise it is invalid.

I do not know of such a rule in La Habra, CA. It's not fair at all; I certainly feel for you.

Check the city ordinance. Every city is different.

Traffic tickets topics