Does your name get put into some kind of government database if you get a medical marijuana card?

San Francisco, CA |

I'm thinking about getting one, but I'm worried that my name would be put into some kind of government database, and that could have an effect on me getting a job or worse.

1. There is, of course, a database as part of any record-keeping system. You can see a CA medical marijuana attorney to assess the likelihood of data release. In Michigan, I have lost confidence that the data is truly secure. I keep seeing odd search warrants, and have my suspicions. The employers for whom I write or edit employee handbooks prohibit any presence of THC at work. In Michigan, there is a legal distinction between the THC and metabolites. If the pain you are suffering is so debilitating and you want to avoid the risk of opiate addiction, then discuss with your physician the medical necessity. Depending on the type of pain, there are (for example) TENS units which safely suppress pain signals, and are battery powered, quite portable. All that depends on the nature of your affliction. Best of luck - not an easy decision.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

2. Not necessarily. If you obtain a recommendation from a doctor, that is usually enough for you to obtain medical marijuana, and enough to protect you from arrest. Having that will probably not put you on any government database, but may put you on a list of any collective or cooperative that you might obtain the medicine from. Such a list could get into government hands through a raid or subpoena or some thing similar.
    You can also apply for a medical marijuana card, which are issued by the counties. Doing that will of course get you onto a database, but the counties are not supposed to share that information with other agencies in most circumstances.
    Employers are not allowed to discriminate against you for using medical marijuana, but using may be grounds for an employer to limit what jobs are available (for example any job that requires you to drive a vehicle or heavy equipment).

3. "The state’s database known as the Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System (C.U.R.E.S) contains over 100 million entries of controlled substance drugs that were dispensed in California."

http://oag.ca.gov/cures-pdmp

No attorney-client relationship is created as a result of this answer.