Skip to main content

Does workmans compensation cover travel to and from doctor visits?

Sentinel, OK |

I have talked to the human resource department at my work. I have been injured since Dec. 21, 2011. Because the emergency released me to go back to work after being off 3 days, I returned to work yet still having problems with my injury. I notified the human resource department and finally they sent me to a doctor after repeatedly asking them. I just got a check for time off but when I asked them about the expenses for going to all the doctors, they told me that I would not get reimbursed for those expenses. They also put me back to work on light duty but said I could only work 20 hours a week. What are my options?

Attorney Answers 3


In my state of Virginia you would be eligible for medical mileage and for partial compensation due to the fact you are now only working 20 hours per week. You should check with the Oklahoma WC Commission to see if those benefits are available in your state. Also check with a WC lawyer in your state.

This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is not meant and should not be construed to be the formation of an attorney client relationship. I practice Virginia Workers compensation law and Social Security Disability law.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


If you were a Federal Employee when you were injured, you would be entitled to reasonable travel costs including ferry fare and parking. Do not get workers compensation advice from Human Rersources. Get it from your OWCP Claims Examiner. He or she can even get you the correct form to claim reimbursement.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


In PA travel expenses incurred by the employee to obtain medical treatment that is or can be provided locally will not be reimbursed; however if treatment is not provided in the area in which someone would travel routinely for treatment, it will be reimbursed since it is considered long distance travel. So as you can see, each state may have different rules. You should contact a local workers compensation attorney to discuss your options.

Francis J. Lafferty, IV, Esquire Helping injured workers throughout Pennsylvania. DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania and is personal in nature, not professional in nature. The information given is based strictly upon the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics