Does workmans compensation cover travel to and from doctor visits?

Asked over 2 years ago - Sentinel, OK

I have talked to the human resource department at my work. I have been injured since Dec. 21, 2011. Because the emergency released me to go back to work after being off 3 days, I returned to work yet still having problems with my injury. I notified the human resource department and finally they sent me to a doctor after repeatedly asking them. I just got a check for time off but when I asked them about the expenses for going to all the doctors, they told me that I would not get reimbursed for those expenses. They also put me back to work on light duty but said I could only work 20 hours a week. What are my options?

1. Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus

Pro

4

Answered . In my state of Virginia you would be eligible for medical mileage and for partial compensation due to the fact you are now only working 20 hours per week. You should check with the Oklahoma WC Commission to see if those benefits are available in your state. Also check with a WC lawyer in your state.

2. John Eiler Goodwin

3

Answered . If you were a Federal Employee when you were injured, you would be entitled to reasonable travel costs including ferry fare and parking. Do not get workers compensation advice from Human Rersources. Get it from your OWCP Claims Examiner. He or she can even get you the correct form to claim reimbursement.

3. Francis Joseph Lafferty IV

Pro

2

Answered . In PA travel expenses incurred by the employee to obtain medical treatment that is or can be provided locally will not be reimbursed; however if treatment is not provided in the area in which someone would travel routinely for treatment, it will be reimbursed since it is considered long distance travel. So as you can see, each state may have different rules. You should contact a local workers compensation attorney to discuss your options.