Does whether (or not) a couple has filed taxes jointly in past years, affect how a post/pre-nuptial agreement is enforced?

Asked over 1 year ago - Edison, NJ

Does whether (or not) a couple has filed taxes jointly in past years, affect how a post/pre-nuptial agreement is enforced? (Assuming the pre/post-nuptial agreement states how finances/assets are to be distributed in the event of a divorce)

1. David F Salvaggio

Answered . It am guessing that it should not affect the enforcement, but I really would need more facts (especially about the agreement) in order to properly answer that question.

2. Yolanda Navarrete

Answered . It shouldn't.

3. Bari Zell Weinberger

Pro

Answered . This really is not a question that can be answered accurately without reviewing all of the terms of the agreement that you have entered into. If the agreement is silent as to the income tax issue, I would guess that prior income tax filings have no bearing, but again, the Agreement needs to be reviewed in its entirety to provide accurate information and advice. As such, I recommend that you consult with an experienced Family Law attorney who can review the Agreement and advise you accordingly. The information located at the link below may also offer some additional information. Best of luck to you!