Does Washington state require 2 exits for fire emergency in a commercial business?

Asked over 1 year ago - Omak, WA

There is a locked door between 2 businesses. The control is on the lessors side. I sublease and have one exit and run a gym. Does Washington state require 2 exits in case of fire emergency? Is there a provision that states a maximum amount of people per square footage which may affect the need for 2 exits?

1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

2

Best Answer

Answered . The answers to all your questions in the post are in the local codes.

The only exit to my office here in Renton is the front door. I have been to a lot of other offices whose only entry or exit is the front door.

The fire department comes to my office every few years to inspect it for fire hazards. No one has ever mentioned to me anything about another exit.

You can contact your city or county's building department. You may even be able to ask the fire department.

2. Jason John Cruz

Answered . I would look at the local ordinances and fire codes first. Even asking the fire department might help you. If nothing else, they can direct you to where to look.