Does USCIS still send people home to check on couples ( green card through marriage) at night ?

Dallas, TX |

I work mostly at night and my wife told me that some guy with t-shirt and shorts came a couple of times to our place knocking on the door and i wasn't there, she was scared so she didn't open the door..we have been scheduled for the interview in a couple of weeks , I am not sure should i wait for him tomorrow and take a day off or let my wife open the door, because he came twice and the second time was like 9:30 when they come home they wear civilian clothes? i thought they didn't do that anymore

Yes, USCIS sometimes conducts field investigations into the bona-fide nature of the marriage, among other things. It is very possible that he was an officer checking up on you, but there is no telling for certain who the man was. Most women who are at home alone would be scared of opening the door to a stranger at that time in the evening, especially in plain clothes. If I were in your position, I would wait with your wife and see if the man returns tomorrow during the day and have him see the two of you there together. That said, you should go on with your normal everyday life, including your nighttime work schedule.

Best of luck to you.

Please note, the above answer is for general informational purposes only. We are a full-service immigration and criminal defense law firm, representing clients in all 50 states and worldwide. Kristy Figueroa-Contreras, Esq.,, NEGRI, TORRES & FIGUEROA-CONTRERAS, PA, The Minorca, Suite 214, 2030 South Douglas Road, Miami, FL 33134, Tel. (305) 639-8599. Hablamos español. Falamos português.

We have definitely had clients that are visited by an investigative team at odd hours. The appearance of this person sounds suspect, and I would advise you to ask to see credentials, such as a badge or ID card. You can also call the police so they can investigate who the person is who is coming to your door. If you are in a legitimate, good faith marriage, do not worry about the investigation. They may be intimidating, but with good advice from an attorney and by living honestly, you will have everything you need to pass the investigation and nothing to hide.

You bet.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Yes, USCIS continues to conduct field investigations. However, you probably should not just assume that this person is from USCIS and allow them to enter your home. If you are concerned about the individual who is knocking at your door, call the police department or neighborhood constable if you have one.

Marriage and prenups topics

Recommended articles about Immigration