Does USCIS still send people home to check on couple if they live together an have bona fide marriage or not ?

Oak Brook, IL |

I work mostly at night and my wife told me that some guy with t-shirt and shorts came a couple of times to our place knocking on the door and i wasn't there, she was scared so she didn't open the door..we have been scheduled for the interview in a couple of weeks , I am not sure should i wait for him tomorrow and take a day off or let my wife open the door, because he came twice and the second time was like 9:30 pm..so when they come home they wear civilian clothes? i thought they didn't do that anymore

This is an immigration question.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

If the USCIS has doubts about a marriage, they sometimes do onsite investigations.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

When does that happen?before the interview? and do they wear uniforms , can they come in shorts and t-shirts ?just to make sure because my wife just afraid to open the door ?

This appears to be more of an immigration queston. I will change to practice area so the immigration attorneys ca respond.

Hello. Yes, onsite and 'in field' investigations, and audits, by USCIS may be made. Should you need further attorney assistance: Some attorneys, myself included, will confer for free, at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys, myself included, will provide a reduced fee for need. All the best.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq., Immigration Law, Criminal Law, Family Law, Rule 14 Qualified Neutral, Minnesota Supreme Court Roster Mediator, Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC, Phone: 612.296-9666 EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR until 8 p.m. daily. See www.dwyerlawfirm.net

USCIS does have a fraud detection unit and will sometimes send investigators to a home. It is not clear that this guy in shorts was an investigator though, since no one talked to him and he left no note or card. He could have been anyone. Why doesn't your wife ask "who's there?" without opening door?

Law Office of Mary K. Neal | www.immigratechicago.com | info@rogersparklaw.com| 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.

Recommended articles about Immigration