Does USCIS check NRMA during background checks for greencard applications?

Dallas, TX |
Filed under: Green cards Shoplifting

I was recently caught shoplifting and signed a confession that had my SSN and date of birth information. I am not sure if I was added to NRMA, but in case I was, I am worried that it might affect my pending I-485 application. Will it? Please advise.

It can effect you if they learn of it. Try to avoid any conviction or court finding that you have stolen anything. Always talk to a lawyer before signing ANYTHING associated with a criminal allegation. Get representation. Stop spreading your business on the internet.

good luck.

Were you arrested? Have you been fingerprinted by the ASC on your I-485 or your I-765? If uscis has not yet fingerprinted you then if you were arrested it can show. If you were not arrested then it will not but beware if at the interview on you i485 you are asked about arrests, charges or convictions you are likely required to disclose it depends on facts. Get a lawyer or advise your immigration lawyer.

From you question, it appears that you were not arrested. Usually on a shoplifting case, the police is called and the person is arrested on the spot. In your case, if there was not an arrest and charges were not filed against you, then you should be fine. Be aware though, a theft conviction can lead to deportation, especially if more than one! Do not talk to anyone about the incident without consulting an attorney. Good luck!

Juliana Zach, Esq.
Criminal and Immigration Defense in Danbury, CT
Former Prosecutor
203 702 1385

DISCLAIMER: Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am an experienced Connecticut criminal and immigration lawyer practicing in Danbury, CT. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices. Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.