Skip to main content

Does USCIS check if you previously had Medicaid when you apply for residency?

Pharr, TX |

My question refers to the USCIS checking if you previously had Medicaid or some sort of government help for your children, not for youself, since they were underage when applying for residency through an I-130 or petition for an alien relative if you're not in the states anymore. Can it be some sort of evidence that you were previously in the states? Also, what can be proof that you were previously in the states? (e.g. house payment, light bills under your name, speeding or traffic ticket etc.)

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    Actually, yes. It can be evidence of presence. Also, depending on the benefit applied for and received and whether or not it was a benefit to a US Citizen or non-citizen, this can raise questions about public charge. Please see an immigration attorney so a professional can analyze your individual situation.

  2. No, because it is not a disqualifier for it unless you lie on the forms.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. I agree with Ms. Ramos, yes it can be evidence of presence. I'm not quite sure what the circumstances surrounding your situation are, and I would encourage you to seek the help of an immigration professional to assess your situation. Are you trying to prove presence or are you trying to avoid presence? Either way, it is always best to be honest and again, ask for professional assistance. As far a public charge, I'm not sure what Mr. Segal is getting at, but yes there can be a problem with certain applications if you or your children were or are on public assistance.

    Please remember this is not official legal advice, and this is no way establishes an attorney-client relationship. For a free 15 minute phone consultation please call 972-638-7207.

  4. The answer will depend on the details of your case. You should consult an experienced attorney.

  5. A public charge issue might be raised by USCIS. It is best to consult an attorney.

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics