DOES USA ALLOW TO GET CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP ? AFTER YOUR US NATURALIZATION ?

San Diego, CA |

i am us citizen and i need to know , can i get Canadian citizenship with out losing my us citizenship ?
thank you

If you are a Naturalized US citizen, acquiring another nationality (other than the one you had at birth,, which the law allows you to retain) you could lose you your US citizenship.

The only exception to that is if you get another nationality by marrying a foreign man. That is OK too.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Canada being a "friendly" nation, will not ask you to,renounce your US nationality in order to obtain the Canadian one. The same would go for the US, however mp, there could be different rules that apply to naturalized US citizens., as opposed to ones born in the US.

hi thank you for replay ... would you please let me know what different rules apply to naturalized us citizens as opposed to ones born in the us ? thank you

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

You are very welcome! If you are born in the US, they can't take your nationality away from you. But, if on the other hand, you are a naturalized citizen, the government could start "denaturalization" proceedings against you if it it is discovered that you committed a "material" fraud upon applying for naturalization, etc. Also, it is easier to lose US nationality for those who were not born in the U.S., for various other reasons, which topic is beyond the scope of this forum. I hope my answers were useful. Don't forget to designate "Helpful" and "Best Answer" to your question.

I would recommend contacting a qualified Canadian immigration attorney to see if you would have to renounce or give up your U.S. Citizenship in order to naturalize in Canada.

Legal disclaimer: By answering this question, there is no intention to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. An attorney-client relationship has not been formed. The answer is not intended as anything other than the opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The answer given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

Canada is OK with us citizenship , i just wants to know about USA if is this OK with them ? ( because I DON'T want to lose my us citizenship )

Yes. Canada is an exception

Site: www.myattorneyusa.com email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.