Does US Customs & Border protection actually check for active warrants when you re-enter the country?

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

I'm planning on taking a trip to new Zealand I'm curious on the way back into the USA do they see active warrants when they run your passport and how likely is it that i would get arrested at that point , how about if its just a statewide warrant and im not flying through that state?? would i be bothered? I'm not sure i have one but it is a possibility ,for checks i did not even write , so i would like to be safe and make sure

Im a US Citizen only my passport is scanned

1. Jeffrey Adam Devore

Pro

3

2

Answered . Absolutely. In fact, CBP receives the manifest for every flight arriving in the United States and will have already completed a check before your plane lands in the U.S. It also will have already contacted the agency responsible for the warrant to determine if that agency wants you held for pickup. Where you arrive in the U.S. is irrelevant. I recommend you resolve the warrant before you depart the U.S.

2. Laura L Lichter

2

Answered . If you have any issues--whether active warrants or a past plea or conviction--this is reviewed prior to your readmission to the US.

You should talk to an immigration lawyer, before making plans--just to make sure your situation won't result in being refused admission, detained or referred for a deferred inspection. Depending on the underlying issue, you might only find you miss a flight connection, at worst, you could find yourself in immigration detention, without a bond, facing deportation. Know before you go.

3. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

2

Answered . Most definitely. They check your passport and have the ability to run you on the FBI's NCIC computer database, which would show warrants in any state or throughout the country. I would check with the jurisdiction and not chance it. You do not want to get into a situation in which you are not allowed back into the country.

4. Veronica Tunitsky

2

Answered . Yep, they scan your fingerprint so whatever comes up comes up.