Does U.S citizen get more health benefit than legal permanent resident?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Denver, CO

I am 77 years old, a LPR since 2002, (family sponsored immigrant visa petition). I have never been employed in USA. If I choose to become a U.S. Citizen, what is Health Benefit do I get? what is the public assistance do i get?
Thank you

Additional information

+ what is the Social Security benefit go I receive?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As a non-US citizen and someone who has not paid into medicare and into Social Security, you probably will not be eligible for any health benefits. It is meant for people who have paid into the system for a number of years.

  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In your situation, they should be the same.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you meet the financial eligibility requirements you can get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits of up to $698 per month. In addition you should be eligible for Medicaid health insurance if you meet those financial requirements. Contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 to apply for these benefits.

    Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice,... more

Related Topics

Immigrant visas

Immigrant visas can lead to permanent residence in the US, but they require being sponsored by either a family member or employer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,779 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,779 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering