Does this statement mean that a maximum of 20% can be added to the sum claimed ($700)?

Clinton, MD |

I am delinquent on my HOA fees of 700.00. I received a court summons that indicates that amounts 700 delinquent amount ---interest of 72.88 ---- attorney's fees of 750--- Collection costs 129.43--and late fees of 120.

The bylaws states that : The Association may bring an action at law against the Lot then belonging to said member in the manner now or hereafter provided for on the Maryland Contract Lien Act, or as may otherwise, from time to time, be provided by law, in which event interest, costs and reasonable attorney fees of not less then 20% of the sum claimed, shall be added to the amount of each assessment."

The attorneys fees amount would be at least 20% of the total of the HOA fees, interest, court costs and late fees.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

Not sure if I understand your answer. So, the fees, interest, and costs could be over 100%, it is the discretion of the attorneys and HOA? If 20% is stated in the bylaws, should the most I pay is 20% of the $700 that is owed?

Recommended articles about Real estate