Does this new immigration reform means that if im here undocumented that i have to now go back?

Asked over 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

I enter legally from the bahamas but overstayed my visa, stayed out of problems and lived low key , what will this reform mean for me?

1. Laura Justine Jacobson

6

Answered . It is still impossible to say what the details of the new reform will be or even if it will pass. One mechanism they have said they are working on is a way to better track when people over stay their visas, but we still don't know what that would look like or how it would work. In the meantime, keep avoiding any problems with the law that could affect your immigration opportunities in the future.

2. Carlos E Sandoval

4

Answered . Is too early to say what the new reform will say. Need to wait until the law is passed in Congress.

3. Fernanda Nunes Hottle

Pro

5

Answered . We won't know for sure until the final bill is signed into law. Keeping a low profile is the best you can do right now, if you don't have any way of legalizing in the meantime. Good luck.

4. Dean P Murray

4

Answered . It is too early to tell. Be patient. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

5. Irene Vaisman

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues and be sure not to confuse the CIR (that has not yet been passed) with the new rules that already took place (provisional waiver).

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  6. Nicklaus James Misiti

2

Answered . If you are here out of status you are here illegally, thus by definition if you want to follow the law you need to leave or if you qualify, apply for a lawful status. Any new reform or proposed reform will not change this, in fact the proposed reform, if passed, will be more strict with people in your situation.