Does this constitute stalking?

27526 |

My next door neighbor has installed a video camera, aimed at my house, on a tree in his yard. The camera is no more than 6 feet from the ground, and clearly not for "security" purposes. Two bedrooms, my living room, and my front porch are all visible to this camera and I'd like to know if this is considered stalking, or if there is ANY action I can pursue.

It is not considered stalking, though you may have a remedy. You do have an expectation of privacy inside your home. If your neighbor has cameras all around their house, you may be out of luck, though, because they have a stronger argument for security. However, if this is the only camera they have, I would seek an immediate TRO and get a hearing before a judge. It is more than likely that it will be taken down, depending on your jurisdiction. You will need to consult an attorney as soon as you can.

The recommendations in this answer are not considered legal advice for the purposes of ethical, legal and practical evaluation, nor does this recommendation create a retention of counsel agreement between us, wherein an attorney-client relationship exists. These recommendations should never be relied upon without first consulting an attorney in your jurisdiction. I am not your attorney, unless we enter into a written agreement fulfilling the terms of that agreement. The comments posted herein are purely for educational purposes and public discourse only.

2. This is not stalking but it is probably a invastion of privacy. I would seriously consider filing a complaint with your local police.