Does the wrong date on a lease agreement void the contract legally?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Tucson, AZ

i signed a lease that states at the top "for leases prior to 9/01/2009" i signed this lease in october 2009 and an extension addendum on 9/2010. because it has that wording and date on the lease does that make the contract null and void? i lost my job and need to get out of this lease agreement but they want to charge me rent for the remainder of the lease.

Thanks!

1. Steven Alan Fink

Answered . You cannot use the error to escape liability. You owe rent for the remainder of the lease unless and until landlord can lease property to someone else.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.