Does the U.S. recognize dual citizenship?

Miami, FL |
Filed under: Immigrant status

I was born in Venezuela and was brought to U.S. by my mother when I was 11 years old. I am now a citizen of the U.S. and also a Veteran of the U.S. Navy. Eventhough, I am a citizen of the U.S., am I still considered a Venezuelan Citizen, and if so, am I allowed to vote in the Venezuelan Elections?

Venezuelan law will be controling here.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail: mc@madridcrost.com; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site: www.stopnotariofraud.org.

Thank you for your answer, but could you please spand, I do not understand what you are saying. I need specific answers.

Does the United States recognize my Venezuelan Citizenship (Yes or No) and if so, am I allowed to vote for the Venezuelan Elections. I need facts not opinions. With all due respect.

Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost

Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost

That was not an opinion. That was a fact - you are asking whether you can vote in Venezuela and that will be determined by Venezuelan law. The US has nothing to do with your Venezuelan citizenship and ability to vote in Venenuela. If you are concerned about losing your US citizenship by voting in Venezuela, you will not as long as you do not renounce US citizenship.

That is what I wanted to know. I just did not understand what you were saying. The reason I wrote I need facts, not opinions, is because I did not want other people posting thier opinions. :) You know how people like to opinionate. Not directed at you. Thank you for your answer. Where can I find that officially, so that I can use it as a reference point for someone who was telling me I can not? You know those people that think that they know everything.... Thank you so much for your help.

That is up to Venezuelan law to determine.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

But my question is could I lose my US Citizenship if I vote for the Venezuelan Elections. Thank you I appreciate your help.

The US recognizes dual citizenship, but your question concerns Venezuelan law.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

But if I vote, could I get in trouble with the U.S. ? That is what I am concerned about. Thank you.