Does the term "battering" only refer to physical violence, or does that encompass other types of abuse as well?

Asked about 1 year ago - Richardson, TX

The abuse I have suffered has been mental,verbal, emotional, and financial. Although my spouse has a volatile temper, and I have felt physically threatened, I have not experienced "battering" in the physical sense. I get the feeling that only physical violence matters in the eyes of the law.

1. Jennifer Lynn Barnett

1

Answered . It depends on what you mean by "matters". Some things, like protective orders, require actual physical violence, or the imminent threat of physical violence. But general cruel treatment, even if not rising to the level of physical abuse, certainly can matter in other contexts like a request for a disproportionate division of community property.

2. Stephen Andrew Hamer

Answered . If I may be so bold as to pry: it seems you should get out of this relationship. Contact local divorce attorneys, and as Ms. Barnett said... the cruel treatment may be an issue in the divorce. If you fear for your physical safety, call the police to protect you and so report(s) will be on file.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now