Does the Support Magistrate have discretion in determining whether to approve a downward modification in child support......

Asked 6 months ago - Elmsford, NY

requested three years after the divorce?

1. Susan Jo Civic

Pro

2

1

Answered . The support magistrate may deviate from the statutory percentage and Section 413 of the Family Court Act spells out the deviation factors. If you are seeking a downward modification, I strongly recommend having a consultation with a local attorney to discuss the particulars of your case as the chances of success will vary according to the facts of each case.

2. Steven P. Kuhn

2

1

Answered . Yes they have discretion for a variety of reasons, but that does not mean they always use it. I recommend you consult with a local matrimonial attorney.

3. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

1

1

Answered . Yes, a statute was passed in 2010 stating that all judgments/orders enetered after the effective date are subject to automatic modification after 3 years (upon a petition being filed). So if that's your case, then you can petition for a modification. If your order/judgment was enetered prior to October, 2010, then the old standard applies (substantial change of circumstances). Schedule a consult with a Westchester Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.