Does the Support Magistrate have discretion in determining whether to approve a downward modification in child support......

Elmsford, NY |

requested three years after the divorce?

1. The support magistrate may deviate from the statutory percentage and Section 413 of the Family Court Act spells out the deviation factors. If you are seeking a downward modification, I strongly recommend having a consultation with a local attorney to discuss the particulars of your case as the chances of success will vary according to the facts of each case.

2. Yes they have discretion for a variety of reasons, but that does not mean they always use it. I recommend you consult with a local matrimonial attorney.

If my response has been "helpful" or the "best answer" please indicate it. It is rewarding to know that my answer has helped.

3. Yes, a statute was passed in 2010 stating that all judgments/orders enetered after the effective date are subject to automatic modification after 3 years (upon a petition being filed). So if that's your case, then you can petition for a modification. If your order/judgment was enetered prior to October, 2010, then the old standard applies (substantial change of circumstances). Schedule a consult with a Westchester Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Child support topics