Does the Superior Court in CA have to notify me by mail of any and all court dates. If so, what is the civil code?

Asked almost 2 years ago - West Covina, CA


Attorney answers (3)

  1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, you are entitled to notice unless notice is waived in open court. For example, for motions, the notice provision is set forth under Code of Civil Procedure section 1005.

    See also, Code of Civil Procedure sections 1005.5 and 1006.

    Likewise, you are obligated to provide the court and the parties with any changes to your contact information:

    California Rules of Court, Rule 2.200, provides that an attorney or self-represented party whose mailing address, telephone number, fax number, or e-mail address (if it was provided under rule 2.111(1)) changes while an action is pending must serve on all parties and file a written notice of the change.

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more
  2. Adrienne Patricia Allen

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Chen's very good answer.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general... more
  3. Constantine D. Buzunis

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Chen.

    Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,623 answers this week

2,347 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,623 answers this week

2,347 attorneys answering