Does the SSA, as a federal agency, have to follow the guidelines of the ADA?

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

I have been applying for disability benefits and due to my diagnosed disability am having trouble communicating effectively with the SSA. I have asked them for a reasonable accommodation to help me better communicate with me, but they have refused to respond to that request. Can they do that?

Additional information

I meant to say to "better communicate with them."

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Adam Kielich

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are having difficulty dealing with the SSA you should speak with a local social security attorney to assist you with handling your disability claim.

  2. Joe Matthew Queen

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. Hire a disability lawyer. They will help you on a cost free basis.

    Best of luck.

  3. Clint Curtis

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . SSA accommodation is that they allow claimants to bring a representative with them who can assist them with their claim. I would suggest a Social Security Attorney but the representative can be almost anyone.

    The form can be found on this link

    Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by attorney Clint Curtis as general information and not specific... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,918 answers this week

3,183 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,918 answers this week

3,183 attorneys answering