Does the size of a claim affect how much my insurance rates will go up?

Asked over 2 years ago - Long Beach, CA

I've been in a car accident, and I'm not quite sure who is at fault yet. The damage to both cars was pretty extensive. Does the amount of damage done and following claim have any bearing on how much my insurance costs will increase?

1. John Noah Kitta

Answered . If you have a good driving record and haven't been involved in a serious accident for quite some time, the size of the claim really shouldn't affect your insurance rate to any significant degree. With myself as well as my clients, this has always been the norm. What you don't what to have is numerous water damage claims to your real property. In that regard, you quickly find yourself nearly, or totally, uninsurable. Unless you have a terrible driving record or other individuals on your policy have a lot of points with numerous damage claims, in all probability you will be alright in regard to your filing of this claim.

I hope this is helpful. If our office can be of any legal assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at (510) 797-7990.

Sincerely,
    JOHN N. KITTA

2. Andrew Ronald Gillin

Pro

Answered . Not as a general rule. If you have a good driving record up to now, they should not go up much, if at all. Good Luck