Does the size of a claim affect how much my insurance rates will go up?

Long Beach, CA |

I've been in a car accident, and I'm not quite sure who is at fault yet. The damage to both cars was pretty extensive. Does the amount of damage done and following claim have any bearing on how much my insurance costs will increase?

If you have a good driving record and haven't been involved in a serious accident for quite some time, the size of the claim really shouldn't affect your insurance rate to any significant degree. With myself as well as my clients, this has always been the norm. What you don't what to have is numerous water damage claims to your real property. In that regard, you quickly find yourself nearly, or totally, uninsurable. Unless you have a terrible driving record or other individuals on your policy have a lot of points with numerous damage claims, in all probability you will be alright in regard to your filing of this claim.

I hope this is helpful. If our office can be of any legal assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at (510) 797-7990.

Sincerely,
JOHN N. KITTA

This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Not as a general rule. If you have a good driving record up to now, they should not go up much, if at all. Good Luck