Does the plaintiff have to be owed duty of care for negligence to become liable?

Asked over 1 year ago - Columbus, OH

Let's say the plaintiff (A) is filing a lawsuit against B. B breached a duty of care for one of his customers, which happens to be a relative of A. Let's call that relative C; and C ends up in hospital because of some rather serious injuries - which then results in a coma.
A is unsure if liability of negligence applies to his case since B did not owe A a duty of care, but to C.
Yet, since C isn't the plaintiff and cannot file the lawsuit because of his current vegetative state, would A still be eligible to say B enacted negligence in A's lawsuit?

I have personally heard that liability for negligence only works if the plaintiff is owed the duty of care; never have I heard that when the plaintiff representing someone else.

Pro

6

Answered . If A is a guardian, then he steps into C's shoes.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. George Costas Andriotis

Pro

2

Answered . Someone would need to file suit on C's behalf. A spouse would qualify to do so or a parent if C was a minor. If neither applies than someone would need to petition to be C's guardian.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  3. Andrew Daniel Myers

2

Answered . Negligence requires four elements, duty, breach, cause and harm in its most basic fundamental analysis. This is a marketing and informational website. My recommendation is to take this out of the hypothetical and to consult with an attorney. I do not believe duty is the issue here, but rather authority.

Here's more: [Blue Link Below]

4. Michael Lewis Eisner

Answered . It is impossible to answer based on this hypothetical. You should consult with a reputable personal injury attorney. In Ohio, a probate court can appoint a guardian over somebody who is not competent (i.e. in a chronic vegitative state) to act on the incompetent person's behalf.

5. Robert Bruce Kopelson

1

Answered . Someone like A can apply to court to be appointed either Guardian ad Litem for the incompetent party that was injured, or conservator of the person.

Then A sues in a representative capacity.