Does the parent still have to pay child support and/or back child support if rights are terminated?

Asked about 4 years ago - Pittsburg, KS

My son is three and has not seen his biological father in 2 1/2 years. Child support has only been paid for 6 months and not for 2 1/2 years. The state is now garnishing his wages. If you takes me back to court for joint custody can I terminate his rights? Also if I did would he still have to pay the back child support or have to keep paying?

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Yes. Child support and visitation rights are really two different legal issues.